NMBFL to upgrade to commercial bank
14, Jan 2008
|Nepal Merchant Banking and Finance Ltd (NMBFL) is being upgraded to ¿ `A' category ¿ a commercial bank.|
Mahabir Prasad Goyal, chairman of NMBFL, during its 12th annual general meeting (AGM) informed that the company is set to issue 1:4 rights shares to increase its capital base. Following the rights share issue, the company plans to increase its paid-up capital to one billion rupees, which is necessary for upgrading it to a commercial bank.
"NMBFL has already received a letter of intent to upgrade to `A' class financial institution and necessary arrangements are underway and expected to complete entire process in relation to application for the licence of commercial operation by the end of March this year," he said. NMBFL also declared 30 per cent cash dividend from the profit it made during the fiscal year 2006-07. It reported Rs 121 million operating profit and Rs 75.13 million net profit for 2006-07, whereas its total customer deposits grew by 50.24 per cent.
KATHMANDU: J Nadchatiram, managing director of Yong Lian Realty Sdn Bhd,
a Malaysian partner of NMBFL urged the Nepal government to open its securities market, especially secondary capital market for foreign institutional investors. "This will certainly bring a new wave in the capital market. But the regulators must watch carefully and tighten the regulatory measures to ensure smooth and disciplined transactions," he said.
Nadchatiram, however, said that political stability and pragmatic policy environment are two major parameters for Nepal to receive more foreign direct investments (FDIs).
"Political stability is a `must' with pragmatic policy backup for attracting more FDIs, particularly for Nepal which is politically in transition phase," he said. The Malaysian company has 15 per cent stake in NMBFL.
The Himalayan Times
- 31, May 09 NMB adds branch
- 12, Apr 09 NMBF in Dharan
- 12, Jan 09 NMBF approved right and bonus
- 27, Dec 08 Money coming from India to get safer, faster passage
- 14, Dec 08 NMBF to give right shares
- 26, Nov 08 NMB, NLGIC ink pact
- 06, Nov 08 NMB's scheme
- 02, Oct 08 NMBL's third branch
- 11, Sep 08 NMB inaugurates new branch
- 19, Aug 08 NMB's new service
- 11, Aug 08 NMB's new saving account
- 03, Jun 08 NMB Bank becomes full-fledged
- 19, May 08 NMBF changed its name
- 28, Jan 08 Power bond approved
- 18, Dec 07 NMBF to issue 1:4 rights share to its shareholders